||[Jan. 9th, 2005|12:25 am]
The Great Movies
Films you have to watch every single time they come on television.|
Just wondering what films you've seen a million times that you most definitely have to sit through at least one half-hour of when they come on, regardless of what you're doing. These are not necessarily the greatest films you know of, but they amount to guilty pleasure films that you just couldn't do without.
I'll start with my list (in no particular order):
1. The Conversation--I don't know why, but I can't stop watching this film. I don't even find it all that enjoyable, but I HAVE to watch it.
2. Harold and Maude--I know...I left my feel-good phase behind in college...but...
3. A Clockwork Orange--It's like watching a beautiful train wreck. Gorgeous, but terrifying...and kind of funny if no one you know is involved.
4. THX-1138--Interesting from start to finish.
5. Brining Up Baby--It's like being awakened from a deep sleep to be handed $100 in cash and a bowl of chocolate ice cream by an apron-clad Jeremy Irons who then sits down and begins to read "The Song of Solomon" in hushed tones while massaging your feet. Just pure pleasure.
6. His Girl Friday--You could remake this film with the exact same script and just put everyone on cell phones and this would be a perfect film today. I can see it now: "You look like that fellow from the movies...uh...Jim Carrey!"
7. Some Like it Hot--The best ending line from any film, ever.
8. American Graffiti--Fun. Proto-Harrison Ford at his best. Pre-earring.
9. Dazed and Confused--American Graffiti in my backyard. I'm from Texas, and I know Wooderson, Pink and all those guys. I don't know them by name, but I've certainly met their archetypes. Enjoy this a bunch.
10. Raiders of the Lost Ark--It's "Raiders". 'Nuff said.
Anyone else want to weigh in?